Friday, January 23, 2009

Floral Letters





So I saw a couple of other brides who had DIY their own floral letters and I thought they turned out really nice. Thus, I thought that I couldn't mess this up too bad. So here's there materials I used.

-Approximately 150 small (1" or less) fake flowers. I chose mini rose bunches - the cheapo ones that were 50% off at Michael's - and I pulled all the flower heads off (also good for aggression)
-Wooden letters of your choice. We chose the initials of our first names, S for Sarah and J for Joel. But I've also seen them with last name initials.
-Ribbon
-Glue

So like I said, first I de-headed all my flowers. Then for ease and flatness of gluing, I pulled off the weird little green thing that supports the petals. This DOES make the petals more likely to fall off so I did that as needed.

Then I just glued the flower heads onto the letters. Now I learned two tricks to this part.

1. Start with the edges and then fill in the middle second.
2. Make sure you are looking at the letters from the angle they will be viewed from.

i.e. if you are gluing on a table, like I was, make sure you are looking straight down at the letters. Or what I did was held them up every so often. Otherwise it can look full from one angle but not-so-full from another

And although the pictures don't reflect the last step because they are drying as we speak, I will glue the gold ribbon to the back so I can hang the letters from the doorknob of our ceremony location door. I am going to hang them at different heights so you can see them both.

1 comment:

  1. On my way to a bridal show, and will read this more in depth later, but can't wait to come back to it, because I LOVE the look of flower letters!

    So glad you've started blogging, Chicago friend!

    ReplyDelete